Friday 27 July 2012

Parisian Extravagance and Opulence I


Pierre and I are so fortunate to be living in the Opera arrondissement.....there are many theatres in the district as well as lovely restaurants.

And just a hop, skip and jump away from us is one of the most beautiful opera houses in the world.....the opulent Opera Garnier.
It was commissioned by Napoleon III and built by Charles Garnier in the 1870s.

It's a majestic theatre....Charles really knew how to pile on the extravagance and opulence....the facade, monumental staircase, frescoes, gold leaf embellishment and red velvet theatre crowned with a Chagall ceiling definitely have the WOW factor.

Clearly, Charles didn't follow the principle that "less is more".
We did attempt to purchase tickets for the ballet the day we had a snorkel through Opera Garnier....but Parisians know how to enjoy the good life and it was totally booked out for this month.

So....I'm enjoying the delayed anticipation of our September booking.

First up, after a swan around the balcony (as you do), I think I'll head to the outside terrace for a pre-ballet champers....it overlooks place de l'Opera....great for people watching too.
I'll be heading for this corner of the terrace....looks a good spot n'est-ce pas?
And when it's time to take our red velvet seats inside the theatre.....there'll be no shortage of marvels to gaze at.
The extravagance and opulence of Opera Garnier reminded me of another 'house of pleasure and entertainment' in one of Paris' other suburbs.......Versailles.

As I said above, Parisians really know how to enjoy the good life and Louis and Marie-Antoinette knew their stuff!  

But more about that little abode in my next post, Parisian Extravagance and Opulence II.  
Once you see Versailles, you understand perfectly well why there was a revolution!

You may also like my post on:
http://parisallons-y.blogspot.fr/2012/06/jaime-nouvelle-athenes.html


13 comments:

  1. Hi Paris Rendezvous, loved your post we spent New Year's Eve at the Ballet at the Opera Garnier, loved how upon exit everyone helped themselves to the stunning white floral arrangements tied all over the sweeping staircase rails! Talk about romantic men were putting flowers for their dates and just about everyone walked out the front with bouquets. I was stunned, as if the venue and the ballet wasn't enough! Try to get a ticket to a show while you are there. There's also seating in these little booths above the main audience section that are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be something to see...perhaps I should book for New Year's Eve as well!! A bientot.

      Delete
  2. You have outdone yourself on this one. My favourite, the corridor with chandelier in B&B. It's exquisite, you could sell it. I love it!
    Di
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Di....I must admit it is a really beautiful place. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. More of 'more is more' and less of 'less is more', thats what I say, these images make my heart race. How enriching to walk among spectacular creations such as these. Love,love,love,love......oh go on then one more, LOVE!
    Bon weekend.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do make me laugh Paul...as I've said before...you have a way (great) with words!!!!!!!! Bon weekend to you too.

      Delete
  4. Enjoying the french opulence through your eyes ..... magnifique !!!
    Can't wait to see your version of Versailles .... Lili

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sooooooooooooooo WISH I was in Paris... le sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...there's lots of inspiration in this beautiful city Fifi.

      Delete
  6. OH MY, I love your photos! They inspire me to get to Paris as soon as I can. I don't think I breathed until I finished the post. THANKS, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa...Opera Garnier is sublime! You have to visit. Merci beaucoup (again).

      Delete