Sunday 8 April 2012

A Perfect Weekend in Paris

Our first weekend in Paris and we were spoilt for choice.  Where to start?

Samedi/Saturday:
First up, we headed over to Marriage Fréres www.mariagefreres.com to get some of my favourite tea......on the way bumped right into a fab department store called the BHV (not too expensive and loads of choice).

Pierre and I wanted to get a few essentials.......but I also made a quick detour to the Dior cosmetics counter.  The trés chic assistant kindly responded with a 'bravo' when I attempted to speak mon francais!  Trés, trés  gentil/very, very kind I thought....what a boost to the ego!

We eventually arrived at Marriage Fréres (Maison de Thé å Paris depuis 1854), along with many others lining up for tea and gateaux!.....so made a quick dash to the counter to buy their exquisite teas.....and au revoir Marriage Fréres!

Then back to le Metro and over to rue Montorgueil for fresh ingredients for dinner.   I'll definitely need mon chariot/my trolley soon.....lugging those bags around was not much fun!  Mon chariot must be a priority purchase for next week I think.

Back to le Metro....and then, before we knew it...voila! we were back at Montmartre.
Business and chess combined on rue Montorgueil.
Easter Saturday...and les gens/the people on rue Montorgueil were in the mood to party.
Les poissons frais/fresh fish on rue Montorgueil
Orange tulips pour moi/for me.
Heaps of yummy fruits et legumes.
Spring white asparagus.....c'est fantastique!
Spring berries - redcurrants, cherries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries
A fab Italian deli on rue Montorgueil.
Of course, gateaux and chocolate Easter eggs were everywhere on Easter Saturday.
Didn't see a lot of chocolate bunnies this Easter.....mainly chocolate fish, bells and chickens in Paris.
And, of course, lots and lots of macarrons.

Dimanche/Sunday:
Easter Sunday calls for a special breakfast...non?
After breakfast, we decided to dodge the Easter crowds and just take a leisurely snorkel around the flea market at Porte de Vanves....there's lots of interesting bric a brac, vintage buttons, postcards, books, fifties furniture/lighting, fur coats and chapeaux/hats at this flea market.
Fab stamps...lucky I brought mine from home.
Some of the framed vintage etchings and prints were charming.
What a fab vase...non?
Little bébés were everywhere.
I can't begin to tell you how frustrating French keys are!!!!!!!!!  
Cute Algernon really wanted to go home with someone!
Alan.....you would have loved it here!  More silver cutlery than you could poke a stick at!  And the horn and silver salad servers were trés chic.
Elegant chapeaux were everywhere....but these models were not quite right for Pierre.
Ooohh...how I wanted this for the apartment...but it would have meant divorce.....so decided to pass!
Voila...it was a perfect weekend in Paris.  And week 1 is over....already!  A bientot.

You may also like my post on:
http://parisallons-y.blogspot.fr/2012/01/fleas-bugs-and-other-treasures.html







24 comments:

  1. Robyn I'm drooling. Don't get back to me just keep living! I'm imagining you ended up at the Mariage Frères, Rue du Bourg-Tibourg site. Oh what heaven HEAVEN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one Soula....such a lovely little palm garden/tea parlour isn't it? When you visit we can have tea and cake together!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Kate here I still haven't found the right way to get my name on so I will appear as anon!! What a tres bon wat to spend easter we camped at Kalbar showground .. peaceful but not quite the same!!
    The fruits and veg look scrumptios and so fresh and the flowers...... Hope you have space for us at New Year????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will have room at New Year...it will be wonderful to see you. (Looks like you got your name up...see the next comment.) A bientot Kate.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter sweet friend!
    Now this is my kind of Easter...OMG You are living my dream! Please be sure you get some French Blue Earl Grey tea on your next visit to Mariage Freres, it has little blue corn flowers in it and you will be in love! What did you buy at Port de Vannes? Those oils are the best! Thank you for sharing with me your golden steps on this walk of your life:)
    xxx's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely of you to leave this comment FrenchBlue. Yes...I will take your advice and try that French Blue Earl Grey....it sounds divine. A bientot.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog + Grand images you have here. I am not hooked on your blog. Have a wonderful week. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to say...Am hooked on your blog. sorry! peggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved spending the day with you. Oh I hope Stohrer is on your list for another day. Keep the photos coming and take my advice....go back for that faboo mirror. He'll be ok with it.
    V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will definitely check out Stohrer Virginia...merci beaucoup for the tip. Now you've got me thinking about that mirror.......

      Delete
  8. My tum is craving fresh berries and gateaux of course!!!Pleased to hear that you survived Porte de Vanves without a divorce. You would have been in your element there Robyn & guess it would have been difficult to slip that gorgeous mirror into your handbag. Pity!!! Yes, Alan would have had a shipping container on standby to fill with all that unique cutlery! Merci for sharing this special adventure with us. Gorgeous photos and beautiful words. A bientot. Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Jude.....your favourite redcurrants are here...tarte and delicious!!

      Delete
  9. Bonjour Robyn,
    Welcome to Paris. It looks like you're already right at home... Paris just kind of draws you in dosen't it? Thanks for stopping by. After you're settled in we'll have to see about meeting for that café.
    Bonne journee,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are truly amazing. Those cakes! This makes me want to return to Paris very soon. I have been there many, many times and never tire of this gorgeous city!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup....I agree with you.....it's a city that you fall in love with! A bientot.

      Delete
  11. Ah, BHV! Le bazar hotel de ville! My favourite department store. If you didn't go downstairs to the hardware department, Robyn, you must! It turns you into an immediate DIY expert of style. Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Fran.....it's on my list for next week..want to get a few bits and pieces before we head off to Lucca for my art workshop. Looking forward to Le Meurice when you visit in May. A bientot.

      Delete
  12. Alan wants one of the French Foreign Legion chapeaux. He says that they'd be sure to be a great hit here. I think he wants to start a trend. What a wag!! Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get Fedex to courier him one Jude...I think he'd look good in the noir chapeau!

      Delete
  13. I really enjoyed going to the vide-greniers when I arrived in Paris and needed stuff for the apartment. They are more like garage sales instead of antiques dealers and it's a great way to walk around and get familiar with the different neighborhoods in Paris.

    http://vide-greniers.org/agendaDepartement.php?departement=75

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup eMerly..will definitely check out the vide-greniers.

      Delete