Tuesday 13 January 2015

Promenade with My Parapluie II - Costumes from the Golden Age of Hollywood

Let's escape for a minute...into a glorious, golden exhibition, "Costumes from the Golden Age of Hollywood" showing in Brisbane at present.
They were the glamorous, amorous, beautiful stars of the 1920s to 1960s....dressed to impress by some of the most creative and talented costume designers of the day.  

Designers like Irene, Edith Head, Adrian, Mary Wills, Dorothy Jenkins, Travilla etc etc.

Of course, the costumes were magnificent but I also liked the original sketches of the costumes....beautifully framed....the black and white photographs of the stars in those costumes (including Marlon Brando, Judy Garland, Gloria Swanson, Grace Kelly, Gene Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, Lana Turner, Barbra Streisand, Julie Andrews, Fred Astaire, Robert Burton...ooohhh the list goes on and on)...and the wonderful movie clips that brought them all to life.
As Gloria famously said in Sunset Boulevard,
"Alright Mr De Mille, I'm ready for my closeup."
Barbara Stanwyck - Titanic, 1953
I loved the original framed costume sketches...they were fabulous.
The glamorous, Cyd Charisse...I remember what a beautiful dancer she was!
Joan's waistline!!!!!!!!! 
Very 1950s...very Madmen.  Lucille Ball, The Long, Long Trailer, 1953
Very pale blue silk pinafore in the centre was worn by Grace Kelly.  The dress was designed by Helen Rose,
who went on to design Grace's wedding dress!!  Fantastique non?
Darlings...we were all totally agog!!!  Liz was never agog....just serenely beautiful as Cleo in the background.
And who do you think this is?  Little Liza Minnelli...with Irene, that wonderful costume designer.
Liz...fabulous actress...and fabulous beauty. 
Just like Vivienne Westwood's collection a few years ago.  Mind you....Marlon would be handsome in anything!
I seriously "désirée" this coat!  From Désirée, 1954
Joan Collins, The Virgin Queen, 1955
My favourite!!!!!!!!!!!!  Couldn't believe SHE was there!
Look at that rope choker with tassels!!!
Now there's an idea for my next little bit of adornment!  Lana Turner, Green Dolphin Street, 1947
Little boy blue!
Robert Taylor....how handsome was he!

So who came first?  Balenciaga or Bernadette's Story?
Red bolero and grey check dress from Little Women.
The saintly Bernadette.
Remember Fred dancing on the ceiling, over the walls and all around the room?  What a dancer he was!
Remember how Ester would always appear in the pool looking glossy and glamorous!
Ester...wearing that gold lamé!  Seriously fabulous!!!!!!!
The incredible Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra et al. 
Clark Gable
And Judy....an unconventional beauty but wasn't she superb!  So why was she so sad?
Me thinks the Hollywood system...maybe???
Red flared skirt and jacket....so preppy, perty and perfect for Judy.
Adrian's fluffy sleeves and hemline...too beautiful.
Worn by Jeanette Macdonald, San Francisco, 1936.
As if in a dream!
And remember this red velvet coat?
Streisand, Funny Girl, 1968 
A little concoction for Julie Andrews.
Yes....it was all a dream really....just a delightful escape....but, when I was little,  I'd do anything to watch those midday movies on TV!  In fact, I was even known to "pretend" that I was too ill for school.....just to stay home and watch them.  Thank heavens my mother adored those midday movies too!!!
A wet day in Brisbane....perfect for enjoying a little escapism, courtesy of Hollywood and this fabulous exhibition.
"Costumes from the Golden Age of Hollywood" was drawn from a private collection owned by a Brisbane resident, Nicholas Inglis.

You're a STAR too Nicholas....thank you so much.

And thank you Brisbane City Hall Museum....beautifully curated.

Ciao

Robyn

Related post:
And don't forget to check out my art blog at:

16 comments:

  1. Hi, Robyn! This was a marvelous exhibition for an artist like you to attend. Mrs. Shady and I would have been thrilled to see it as well. The images you collected for this post allow us to see the highlights. I was born when the The Golden Age of Hollywood was drawing to a close but, in my youth, I was exposed to many of these films and their stars. Titanic (1953) starring Barbara Stanwyck is one of my favorite movies. The chemistry between Barbara's Julia character and Clifton Webb's Richard was palpable. The movie also featured a young Robert Wagner and pretty Audrey Dalton who, a few years later, entertained horror/sci-fi loving me in The Monster That Challenged the World.

    At the first television station where I worked, I dated a woman in the promotions department and received from her many boxes filled with rare 8 X 10 glossies and lobby cards from vintage movies and television shows - priceless collectibles that her boss told her to throw away! I displayed many of the pictures on the wall of my bachelor flat. They included full color lobby cards from the Lucy - Desi movie The Long, Long Trailer.

    Thank you for taking me on this nostalgic tour, dear friend Robyn. Good night to you and have a delightful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Shady Del....do you still have all those cards? Probably not....because we just can't keep everything as we move thru our lives can we? But what an attractive bachelor pad you must have had Shady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Barbara Stanwyck was a really intense actress I thought...she ALWAYS cried in her movies and did it so well, always looking glamorous too. I haven't seen the 1953 Titanic...but I'd love to.

      I'll tell you something else Shady Del....my mother looked EXACTLY like Barbara Stanwyck when she was young....I'm sure that's why she would turn on all those old midday movies and watch them (and let me stay home from school to watch them with her.) Didn't do me any harm educationally/intellectually....and probably did me lots of good creatively!

      Yes, the costumes were fabulous....glorious even....but I bet the costumes camouflaged a lot of Hollywood's insecurities and sorrows! That clothes for you I guess!!

      Thank you for leaving such an interesting comment Shady (as usual!)

      Ciao

      R

      Delete
  2. un billet magnifique.. à lire et voir une deuxième fois!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Elfi. Fantastique! Vous etes trés jolie!!!

      Ciao

      Robyn

      Delete
  3. wonderful images + living in LA I take them for granted + enjoyed every minute of it. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Peggy darling....you are so lucky living there in LA! When I come to visit will you take me thru a studio? I'd love a hat just like Judy's wearing....now that's a thought. I wonder if I can buy a Hollywood hat online?? Must check that out!

      And when you come to Brisbane Peggy I'll take you and show you our cute, cuddly koalas....and a few other things as well (not of furry variety though)!

      That's a promise.

      Ciao

      R

      Delete
  4. What a great exhibition. Wonder if its coming to Melbourne?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too sure about that Magnolia Verandah....but it should!! It's really top quality...the equal to anything I've seen in Paris, Antwerp or elsewhere on the planet!

      But...why don't you pop up to Brissy for a quick get-away and see the exhibition!! Would love to meet you.

      By the way, I'm coming to Melbourne in August...we should set up a date if you're available!

      Ciao

      R

      Delete
  5. So pleased you decided on another Promenade with Your Parapluie Robyn.....a fascinating exhibition, thanks for sharing it...photos are fabulous and do make you reflect back to those 'golden years'...as a very young girl I remember being in awe of the beautiful costumes from those movies....so glamorous...I'm sure that I never had a waist as small as some of the Hollywood stars though!!! Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know about that Jude!!!!!!!!!

      We all thought (including my older brother!!!! who I've told you was smitten with you back then) that you were the splitting image of Julie Christie! You were, you know Jude....and you still haven't changed much today. You may not have been in 'cinema' Jude but you certainly made your own magic in fashion didn't you!!!

      Anyway Julie...oops Jude...will get the calendars to you next week. Thanks kindly for your order.

      Ciao

      R

      Delete
    2. Oh Robyn......I'm blushing!!! you're too kind...but when I think back, a lot of those Hollywood movies inspired me to cut up my Nana's dresses and remodel them to suit me....my Nan didn't mind she was an angel....and I was a serious fashion victim from the age of 10!!! Thanks for the compliments....I might get you to remind AD that I look Julie C!!! only kidding...Jude

      Delete
    3. I know AD would agree Jude. It's impossible to deny. You're the splitting image of Julie C!!!!

      Aahhh...some of us are just blessed....beauty, talent....you've got it in heaps Jude...and you didn't have to cope with Hollywood either!! Lucky you.

      R

      Delete
  6. very nice exhibition. I hope we'll have the opportunity to see it in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Chris. Comment allez vous?

      Yes, you would love it. I really thought some of those male costumes looked like those 'man suits' that the Belgian designer (Walter van B.) is now doing!! The ones you posted recently. The exhibition was truly sensational....to see Greta's jacket, Judy's red skirt and checked jacket, Ester's gold lamé suimsuit, Grace Kelly's silk pinafore etc etc etc was wonderful!!!!!

      Not sure if it's going to Paris Chris....but praps you can come Down Under to Brisbane??? I would love to show you around.

      Happy painting....your exhibition is getting close now darling! I have been following those sad and tragic events that happened in Paris Chris....let's keep the flame burning for more beauty and tolerance in the world Chris!

      Ciao

      Robyn



      Delete
  7. Robyn hello! Was searching tonight and came across your wonderful blog on the exhibit. What a wonderful write up! And great photos. It was a fabulous exhibit and it was a pleasure and an honour to have been a part of it. I'm nick, btw, the collector and owner of the costumes. And yes would love to take these treasures to Melbourne! ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick your collection is breathtaking. Congratulations!

      People loved this exhibition so it would be wonderful if it could tour nationally and internationally!

      Thank you for bringing glamour and lots of joy to Brisbane.....as I said, you're a star Nick!

      Ciao

      Robyn

      Delete